Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I will call them.. Zucchini Frittercakes.

I'm on a crazy zucchini kick lately. It's one of my favorite spring/summer foods, that I can't get enough of. I decided to try out making a lower calorie version of zucchini fritters last night. They came out great, but not so frittery.. more like a pancake. They didn't have as much crunch as I think a fritter should have, probably mostly due to the fact that I used Pam instead of Olive Oil. Either way, I ate a full one before the last two were even cooked, and it was GOOD.

What you'll need:
 Cheese Grater
Mixing bowl
Large spoon
Large Skillet
Pam Spray

Ingredients:
One Large Zucchini
1/4 cup Flour (any kind really)
1/4 cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
One Large Egg (not shown in photo, oops)
Two big scallions, chopped
Spices of your choice to taste, I HIGHLY recommend Dill
(I used Dill, Garlic Powder, Parsley, Salt & Pepper)

Wash and grate down the zucchini.
Place grated zucchini either in a metal strainer, or on a few paper towels and squeeze out most of the water.
Combine ALL ingredients together in mixing bowl (Zucchini, Flour, Feta Cheese, Egg, Scallions, Spices).
Mix until smooth, and it all becomes kind of the consistency of thick pancake batter. I had to add a little bit more flour to mine.


The final mixture should make the perfect amount of "batter" for 4 large fritter/pancakes (Frittercake? yes.. I'll call it a frittercake. And Yes, I just changed the title of the blog, right now.)


Once I realized these would be more frittercakey than actual fritter, I pushed them down when I flipped them to make them a bit thinner, and so that they cook a little faster. It took about 3-4 minutes on each side to get a golden brown. 

Sprinkle a little bit of extra feta cheese over the top and voila! Frittercake! Best when served with Tzatziki Sauce :)


Each one of these badboys is about 95 calories (sauce and extra feta on top not included)


For a slightly higher calorie option, but to get the crunch of an actual fritter, substitute Olive Oil for Pam when cooking on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!