Monday, May 14, 2012

Baked Cheesy Zucchini and Squash


Last week I decided to re-work a Pinterest recipe that I had found. It sounded great and combined two of my favorite things, zucchini and cheese. How could it go wrong? Well, other than my biggest zucchini having a strange bug that had tunneled through the whole thing, it tasted great! (No, the bug zucchini wasn't used, so this recipe for me definitely had way more yellow squash then zucchini.)

Here's the recipe:

What you'll need:
Two Medium Zucchini
Two Medium Yellow Squash
A reduced fat bag of shredded cheese (I used a 4 cheese mexican blend)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Basil & Parsley
Non stick Spray
Baking Dish


Preheat oven to 350*. Then spray down baking dish with non stick spray. Then cut up the squash and zucchini and combine in baking dish.


Add in all spices to taste (extra garlic and basil for me!) and mix.


Fold in shredded cheese (I used about 1 cup of cheese). Use a little bit of extra cheese to cover the top off.


Place in oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or longer, depending on the crunch level you want on the squash and zucchini. Mine took about a half hour, and I also mixed it up one time in the middle to move the cheese around. Once the veggies are at the doneness you like, put the oven on broil to brown the top of the cheese.


Serve with a chopped up scallion on top, and you're done! 

At only 60 calories a serving (makes 6 servings) this is an awesome dish to curb your cheese craving, while getting a fair amount of veggies at the same time! 


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!