Friday, May 4, 2012

And the garden begins..

This past weekend was CRAZY. We filled the sandbox around the swing set with six yards of sand, had my parents over to help, and about four of our friends over to help as well. So we put the all guys on sand patrol, and my mom and I started the garden. We decided on planting; Plum Tomatoes, Big Boy Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash. ALL of my favorites!


A frog decided to make its way in to the planter box as soon as it was set up to welcome the garden, so our little man was fascinated, he loves frogs!


Within the next few days, we added some small fences for the vines to grow up.


Since then I've also planted marigolds around the border (another compliment to my mom for the idea, and the flowers) to deter bugs away. I'll get a photo of that soon, because it looks crazy pretty. 

The cucumber plant has grown the most, and is already starting to sprout flowers! I can't believe how fast those showed up..


I think one of the biggest reasons I'm excited about this, is the time that little man and I will have this summer taking care of the garden. He's the best little helper. I remember, growing up in New York, my grandfather ALWAYS had a vegetable garden (much bigger than mine of course, I'm just a rookie). That would be one of my favorite parts of summer, helping him in the garden, and of course, the first tomato sandwich of the season. I've already promised him the first tomato that I grow on my own. I can't wait to sit with him and make a sandwich with it. Now I get to enjoy the time in the garden with my son, like grandpa and I got to enjoy it when I was younger.
Here's my big boy helper watering the plants.


..and look.. there's even a rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!